Skip to main content
Help Center

What types of documents might I need to provide?

Job announcements will indicate the need to supply one or more of these types of documents in the How to Apply section.


Cover letter

A cover letter may be included if there is additional information you wish to express to the hiring authorities that is outside of what is normally included in a resume.


A transcript is a copy of your permanent academic record from a high school or college. To get a copy, contact the high school and/or college registrar office for instructions. Refer to the job announcement for specific instructions on which transcripts, if any, should be included.


If there are other additional documents that you wish to pass to hiring authorities, you can attach them under this document type. In addition, some jobs may require specific documents outside of this list such as writing samples, which can be attached using the type of "other".

Senior Executives

Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)

If you're applying to a Senior Executive job within the Senior Executive Service (SES) you must demonstrate you possess the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs). The ECQs define the competencies needed to build a federal corporate culture that drives for results, serves customers, and builds successful teams and coalitions within and outside the organization. The ECQs are required for entry to the SES and are used by many departments and agencies in selection, performance management, and leadership development for executive positions.

The ECQ requirement only applies to jobs within the SES. There may be other senior executive level jobs outside of the SES that require different qualifications.

Federal employees


The OF-306, Declaration for Federal Employment is used to determine your acceptability for Federal and Federal contract employment and your enrollment status in the Government's Life Insurance program. You may be asked to complete this form at any time during the hiring process. Follow instructions that the agency provides. If you are selected, before you are appointed you will be asked to update your responses on this form and on other materials submitted during the application process and then to re-certify that your answers are true.


The SF-50 is a permanent record in your Official Personnel Folder that documents and reports all personnell actions (except mass transfer and mass change actions). It's the required form of notification for accessions, conversions, and separations, and for corrections and cancellations of those actions. It also details your series, grade, and proves that you worked where you said you worked, as well as when and how much you were paid. All current and former federal employees have an SF-50. Learn how to obtain a copy of your SF-50.



The DD-214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty", is issued to military members upon separation from active service. It contains information about the veteran's dates of military service and separation. Most veterans and their next-of-kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 Report of Separation and other military and medical records through the National Archives Veterans' Records Service.


The SF-15 "Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference" is used by Federal agencies and OPM examining offices to adjudicate individuals' claims for veterans' preference.

Additional resources

Still need help?