Skip to main content
Help Center

What is a qualifying educational institution or program?

Qualifying educational institutions/programs include:

  • A high school/GED whose curriculum has been approved by a state or local governing body, or a home-school curriculum.
  • Any accredited technical or vocational school.
  • A two or four year college or university.
  • A graduate or professional school.
  • A post-secondary home-school curriculum.

To determine if a school or program is accredited, refer to the U.S. Department of Education's Institutional Accreditation System

A post-secondary certificate program must have been completed at a qualifying educational institution equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.

Education outside of the United States must be equivalent to education gained in conventional/accredited U.S. program to be acceptable for Federal employment. If you received a degree abroad, you may need to get your degree reviewed by a U.S. based credential evaluation service.. Contact the hiring agency for more information.

Still need help?